I am a pragmatic and accomplished agile humanist with 20+ years of experience across a variety of corporate and start-up environments.
I apply compassion, common sense, and situational flexibility as I champion the adoption and propagation of agile values and principles. I am passionate and determined to help catalyze and nurture a culture of respect, acknowledgment, self-management, and continual improvement within technical and creative teams as well as across entire organizations. I take teams beyond “getting agile” into the deliberate and joyful pursuit of high performance.
Equally comfortable at the team, management, or leadership level, along the journey I make sure everyone has a whole lot of fun.
Doing “No” Better
- Business Outcome-Based Metrics: How to Effectively Measure Your Agile Transformation Journey [Editors Choice]
- Combining DevOps and Agile Transformation to Achieve Business Outcomes
- How to Build and Sustain Organization Resilience
Six Steps Towards Self-Learning Teams and Organizations
- Mile High Agile 2018 MHA2018
- Agile2019 DC
The Fear and Vulnerability Retrospective
- Big Apple Scrum Day 2018, NYC
- Agile2018, San Diego
Metrics – Forget Velocity: 42 Other Things to Ponder
- Mile High Agile 2017 MHA2017
- Delivery of Things World 2018 DOT2018
- Pearson Online Learning, Feb 2020, June 2020, Jan 2021
Team Health and Wellbeing
- Agile2018, San Diego
Calisthenics to Stretch Communication Muscles (Kantor’s 4-Player Model)
- Mile High Agile 2020 – oh, wait… covid…
- With consideration for Agile principles, deliver value over meeting constraints, lead teams over managing tasks, and adapt to change over conforming to plans.
- Lead cross-functional teams and coach/mentor others that are in the roles of Product Owner, Scrum Master, Kanban Lead, Team Lead, and/or Project Manager.
- Serve as an Agile Coach by sharing, championing, and spreading Agile best practices, values, and principles (including, but not limited to Scrum and Kanban) in Engineering and across the organization through publication, mentoring, workshops, and collaboration
- Facilitate organizational learning, improvement, and Agile process adoption across the organization through retrospectives
- Coordinate with the executive leadership team on pipeline planning and portfolio management to maximize the delivery of business value
- Implement a vision for engineering that aligns with the larger organizational goals
- Employ Agile methodologies to collect metrics and provide feedback on the progress of teams and projects
- Create a trust-filled, transparent, collaborative, and honest environment for learning, development, and knowledge sharing
- Foster a culture of empowerment and accountability across the organization
- Develop and grow a group of “Birds of a Feather” Agile Leaders through training, mentoring, and coaching
- Develop, implement, and promote Agile best practice standards on all teams
- Coordinate between teams via Scrum of Scrums and project management oversight
- Facilitate teamwork, self-organization, and self-management
- Organize, charter, and coordinate cross-functional teams based on project requirements
- Serve as a team coach to foster a culture of continuous team improvement
- Support the onboarding of new hires and the start-up of new teams and projects
- Help teams identify and remove bottlenecks, and continually optimize Kanban and Scrum processes
My superpowers, according to colleagues
Active listening • Ability to reclaim a room that has gone off the rails • Being able to connect the concepts/process we want to try and the tools we use • Having and relaying a vision of what working at our company should be like • Recognizing that not everyone thinks the same way • Trust: people trust that you care • Clear thinker: you are unflappable, even in the middle of chaos you instill calm • Positivity: you help others believe in themselves • Order: you can bring order to any chaos • A lot of people toss around the term “servant leader” and very few actually live up to it. I think you truly are a servant leader, and I’d call that your superpower • The way Andy is able to stay positive and show his emotion at the same time is really a gift • Fun, collaborative, open, willing to share, and receive feedback.
Experimenting with Mastodon
Join me there: https://mastodon.social/invite/2jNgkRyC