There are so many great resources related to being a great Product Owner. Below are but a few of my favorites.
If you only have 10 minutes and want to understand what it means to be a great product owner…
Watch Henrik Kniberg’s 15-minute video at 1.25x speed!
Then spend the rest of your career absorbing from below…
Front Row Agile / Mt. Goat Product Owner
- The Role of a Product Owner: Responsibilities & Characteristics
- The Role of a Product Owner (Part 2): Life in the Fast Lane
- The Role of a Product Owner (Part 3): Anti-Patterns
- Mt. Goat Online Training for Product Owners
- Ultimate Product Owner: Optimising Product Delivery
- Better User Stories
- Write Better User Stories in Less Time With Less Aggravation
BDD (Behavior Driven Development)
- Behavior-Driven Development for Product Owners
- Read Specification by Example – “the closest I’ve seen to a ‘BDD book’ (as a treatment of methodology)” says Dan North
HDD (Hypothesis Driven Design)
Scrum Alliance on being an effective Product Owner
Roman Pichler – Product Ownership
- Read all of Roman Pichler’s stuff
- Take at least two of his courses
- 28 Product Backlog and Refinement Anti-Patterns
- If you like to learn by learning what NOT to do, check out Stefan’s “How to Sabotage A Product Owner — 53 Anti-Patterns from the Trenches” which includes such gems as
- Insist on all projects being accomplished within a fixed time, scope, and budget setting.
- Use the Daily Scrum to check on progress and hold the Product Owner accountable for not meeting your targets.
- Enforce proprietary and obscure metrics useless to the Scrum team.
“Find out how great products are built”
Love the approach to exploring four types of risk:
- value risk (whether customers will buy it or users will choose to use it)
- usability risk (whether users can figure out how to use it)
- feasibility risk (whether our engineers can build what we need with the time, skills and technology we have)
- business viability risk (whether this solution also works for the various aspects of our business)
More Resources for Product Owners
- R Galen
- A podcast with a guy named Cory…..(http://www.deliveritcast.com)
- Scrum Product Ownership: Balancing Value from the Inside Out
- 10 Must Read Books for Product Owners
- Why Spotify Squads Are a Popular Failure for Product Teams
- Emma Butler has a nice post “Best Product Management Books 2019 For Newbies to Seasoned Vets & From Roadmapping to Design”
- David Pereira published The 10 books that transformed my mindset as a Product Owner
Keep the List Going…
I’ve missed more than a few.. add your suggestions via comments…