I am a pragmatic and accomplished Agile Practitioner and Project Management Professional with 20+ years experience across a variety of corporate and start-up environments.
I apply experience, common sense, and situational flexibility as I champion the adoption, propagation and scaling of Agile. I am passionate and determined to help catalyze and nurture a culture of respect, acknowledgement, self-management and continual improvement within technical and creative teams as well as across entire organizations. I take take teams beyond “getting agile” into the deliberate and joyful pursuit of high performance.
Equally comfortable at the team, management, or leadership level, along the journey I make sure everyone has a whole lot of fun.
- With consideration for Agile principles, deliver value over meeting constraints, lead teams over managing tasks, and adapt to change over conforming to plans.
- Lead cross-functional teams and coach/mentor others that are in the roles of Product Owner, Scrum Master, Kanban Lead, Team Lead, and/or Project Manager.
- Serve as an Agile Coach by sharing, championing, and spreading Agile best practices, values and principles (including, but not limited to Scrum and Kanban) in Engineering and across the organization through publication, mentoring, workshops, and collaboration
- Facilitate organizational learning, improvement, and Agile process adoption across the organization through retrospectives
- Coordinate with executive leadership team on pipeline planning and portfolio management to maximize delivery of business value
- Implement a vision for engineering that aligns with the larger organizational goals
- Employ Agile methodologies to collect metrics and provide feedback on the progress of teams and projects
- Create a trust-filled, transparent, collaborative and honest environment for learning, development and knowledge sharing
- Foster a culture of empowerment and accountability across the organization
- Develop and grow a group of “Birds of a Feather” Agile Leaders through training, mentoring, and coaching
- Develop, implement, and promote Agile best practice standards on all teams
- Coordinate between teams via Scrum of Scrums and project management oversight
- Facilitate teamwork, self-organization and self-management
- Organize, charter and coordinate cross-functional teams based on project requirements
- Serve as a team coach to foster a culture of continuous team improvement
- Support the on-boarding of new hires, and the start-up of new teams and projects
- Help teams identify and remove bottlenecks, and continually optimize Kanban and Scrum processes
My super powers, according to colleagues
- Active listening • Ability to reclaim a room that has gone off the rails • Being able to connect the concepts / process we want to try and the tools we use • Having and relaying a vision of what working at our company should be like • Recognizing that not everyone thinks the same way.
- Trust: people trust that you care • Clear thinker: you are unflappable, even in the middle of chaos you instill calm • Positivity: you help others believe in themselves • Order: you can bring order to any chaos
- A lot of people toss around the term “servant leader” and very few actually live up to it. I think you truly are a servant leader, and I’d call that your super power.